Adeptus Titanicus reboot, 300 USD?!

Here you can discuss anything froth related that does not fit into another forum, or indeed any nonsense that should enter your head.

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Adeptus Titanicus reboot, 300 USD?!

Postby Macunaima » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:36 pm

For the first time in decades I am keeping an eye on things Games Workshop because I have just bought a mass of Vanguard’s lovely not-Space Marines in 3mm. So, as I pointed out in a recent blog post, I’m reliving my early twenties infatuation with Epic.

Turns out GW is redoing their old Adeptus Titanicus game... in 8mm scale.

But it is not just the scale that is weird: it’s the price. 300 dollars buys you two titans, six knights and assorted bits.

Wtf? 300 USD?

IIRC, the original AT ran about thirty bucks and you got eight titans and a boxload of bits. Sure, these new titans are bigger and prettier, but ten times the cost of the original game, GW? Really?

Who is this aimed at? Not only will it cost you 100 smackers for each new titan, the unusual 8mm scale pretty much ensures you’ll never be able to proxy anything.
Macunaima

Re: Adeptus Titanicus reboot, 300 USD?!

Postby GW Home Office » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:01 pm

It is a new business trial balloon. We’ve done some marketing study surveys and gaming business analysis. That shows there are likely enough for an initial buy in. We are able to do these for far, far less than it costs. So even if it ends up like an over hyped summer blockbuster movie that fades quickly the initial buy in will do more than break even. If it clicks with the buyers, all the better.

People said we should have done LotR in a common scale. We didn’t but still succeeded. Why? Had we done it in 15mm, the next most likely, gamers would have bought the rules but proxies would have been their preference. Most GW gamers don’t play in tournaments so the “official figures only” route still would have been insufficient.

It is not unlike early CDs where it took pennies to produce but 15£ to purchase.

Don’t forget, Frostgrave was declared dead on arrival by many as well. We knew differently.
GW Home Office

Postby Rossco » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:55 pm

This new boxed set is way too expensive to get me back into playing Epic.
I Froth because I care about miniatures.
Rossco

Postby Bronshtein » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:03 pm

Stand by for 'We've copyrighted 8mm "Scale"!'

(Swiftly followed by tons of 'unfortunately slightly oversized 7.75mm "Scale" figures' from others! :D )
Bronshtein

Postby Cops are pigs » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:20 pm

I've been following it for a bit, but ultimately, it seems this is aimed at "titan duelling" with 1 or 2 titans each.

That's not really what Epic is about to me, so I'll take a pass probably.
Cops are pigs

Postby Voice From Limbo » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:28 pm

You can follow the parallel discussion here, with the usual suspects making the usual arguments:

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=487275

Pictor's compares prices to Foundry. Not helping, IMO.

I'm waiting for Mithmee to weigh in.
Voice From Limbo

Postby Macunaima » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:47 pm

Jesus! If this flies, it means GW fanboys really will buy anything. Formations in the game are 3-5 titans... at one hundred dollars a pop. Amazing watching the fanboys on TNP justifying their purchases.

On the one hand, I know it is all ridiculous. I mean, I just bought about 200 dollars of Vanguard stuff and to a “normal” person, that’s nuts, so who am I to point fingers?

On the other hand... Fuck, when I bought my old AT set, I was an undergrad working a minimum wage job innorder to make ends meet. I had to plan the purchase, of course, but it wasn’t too bad. It came to about seven hours of labor for me. Now I am gainfully employed and I would have to shuffle stuff around quite a bit to buy the new edition.

I mean, who is buying this?
Macunaima

Postby Macunaima » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:00 pm

Best comment so far, on LAF: “Games Workshop has lined up all the sharks on Earth, leaped straight over them, and can now be seen in low earth orbit.”
Macunaima

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:56 am

Macunaima wrote:Best comment so far, on LAF: “Games Workshop has lined up all the sharks on Earth, leaped straight over them, and can now be seen in low earth orbit.”

And yet, all the fanboys will buy it.
You’re just a grumpy old coot, and not the target buyer.
Of course Pictors will buy it. He loves everything Games Workshop and is a prominent apologist. He’s like Captain Gideon with JarJar Binks.
And all the “kids” at the shops have to have it.
GW will post record earnings this fiscal year, just like they did last year.
I suspect the median age at LAF, TMP and Frothers is comparable.
Jumped the shark? For how many years have you been saying that?

Postby Macunaima » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:47 am

You noted where that was said, I take it?
Macunaima

Next

Return to The Froth Pot