Are You A Goth

Here you can discuss anything froth related that does not fit into another forum, or indeed any nonsense that should enter your head.

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Re: Are You A Goth

Postby Duff » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:55 pm

Hermit wrote:
Woodwose wrote:I would question the Damned and the Anti-Nowhere League, punk yes, but I certainly wouldn't put them down as a prime example of Goth.

Remember that the goth culture of the 80s was a splinter from punk,

More a blend of punk and the New Romantics, with a generous splash of early 70s Glam, than an offshoot of any single musical movement. It's lack of coherent roots is one of the reasons why it is so difficult to pin down many bands as being "Goth". As a simple rule of thumb, I find the following a largely accurate method for determining a groups Goth sub culture allegiance: are they shit? If yes, then they are Goth, if not then they are not. Using this simple rule we can see that Siouxie & the Banshees are not Goth, while Marillion most definitely are. This is a variation on the Duff Metal Theorem.*

*Duff hates all forms of Heavy Metal. If Duff likes a band or song then it obviously can't be Heavy Metal, because if it was Heavy Metal, Duff would hate it.
That's logic that is, and you can't argue with logic.
Last edited by Duff on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
broney wrote:You weren't there man! How many stiles are there on the Offa's Dyke Walk? You don't know Man!

Duff
Associate Member

Postby Duff » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:58 pm

THE Bob wrote:
mr tough guy wrote: kinda reminds me of that recent episode of southpark about the Goth Kid becoming Emo :wink:

It seems to me that emo is just like goth except that now they let fat kids in.

Fuck off, they always let fat kids in, it was almost compulsory for the girls. Emo just means Goth with even fewer reasons to be depressed.
broney wrote:You weren't there man! How many stiles are there on the Offa's Dyke Walk? You don't know Man!

Duff
Associate Member

Postby --- » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:04 pm

Duff wrote: As a simple rule of thumb, I find the following a largely accurate method for determining a groups Goth sub culture allegiance: are they shit? If yes, then they are Goth, if not then they are not. Using this simple rule we can see that Siouxie & the Banshees are not Goth, while Marillion most definitely are. This is a variation on the Duff Metal Theorem.*

*Duff hates all forms of Heavy Metal. If Duff likes a band or song then it obviously can't be Heavy Metal, because if it was Heavy Metal, Duff would hate it.

QFT 8)
---
Committee Member

Postby Skipp » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:06 pm

Dags wrote:
Duff wrote: As a simple rule of thumb, I find the following a largely accurate method for determining a groups Goth sub culture allegiance: are they shit? If yes, then they are Goth, if not then they are not. Using this simple rule we can see that Siouxie & the Banshees are not Goth, while Marillion most definitely are. This is a variation on the Duff Metal Theorem.*

QFT 8)

Queens of the Stone Age?

Yeps, good theory Duff.

What are you doing Dave?
Skipp

Postby THE Killer Bob » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:18 pm

The Damned, New Rose, 1976, first ever Punk Rock single released, and Vanian has a totally goth look already:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTfyUqVqX-0

Grimly Fiendish, 1985 (co-written by The Damned and Ugly Clive of Doctor and the Medics), pure goth, before the rot set in:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIpv0fQW4YU
It's happening again...
THE Killer Bob

Postby Norton C Wongpower » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:55 pm

Except Bauhaus weren't shit...:-/

Also note I just turned 30 meaning that I know approximately fuck all from first hand experience!
Norton C Wongpower

Postby Duff » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:23 pm

Andrew May wrote:Except Bauhaus weren't shit...:-/

Indeed, which proves they weren't Goth.

Duff
Associate Member

Postby Norton C Wongpower » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:36 pm

:rofl:
Norton C Wongpower

Postby General Paranoia » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:57 pm

THE Bob wrote:The Damned, New Rose, 1976, first ever Punk Rock single released, and Vanian has a totally goth look already:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTfyUqVqX-0

Grimly Fiendish, 1985 (co-written by The Damned and Ugly Clive of Doctor and the Medics), pure goth, before the rot set in:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIpv0fQW4YU

Dave always dressed like that, but the way one person dresses that doesn't make a group goth, look at the rest of them:-

More importantly look at the music, you've got Vanian, Scabies and Sensible all pulling in different directions. It's not until Sensible quits after "Strawberries" and Jugg takes his place that the Vanian influence takes center stage. That would from "Phantasmagoria" onwards. That's the Album with Grimly fiendish which is rather too pop for your average Goth, but does feature the camp Hammer style video and album cover. It's about as Goth as the previously mentioned Doctor and the Medics! That was the Damned at their most commercial and Top of the Pops presentable

The sort of thing Goths were into in the early 80's was more like this:-
http://youtu.be/T3UKqdWCKS0
Editor in Chief Bill wrote:It also 'thins the herd' so to speak, so that marginal and under-financed companies fall off the radar, leaving the better managed companies to dominate the news sphere.
TMP - killing off small companies!
General Paranoia

Postby An Absent Humphrey » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:33 am

Duff wrote:Using this simple rule we can see that Siouxie & the Banshees are not Goth, while Marillion most definitely are.

Whoah there, fella.
Siouxie and the Banshees certainly didn't start Goth, but they ended up that way.
Marilliion? Agreed, they were shit, but in NO WAY WHATSOEVER were they Goth! They were a poor man's Genesis. Marillion had prog-rock pretensions and let themselves be hijacked by radio-friendly popularity. Shit, yes, but never Goth. Not even close.

What about Killing Joke? They were Goth, but were also good.

New Model Army were another of those hard-to-place bands. They started out all punk, then skirted around Goth, and pinched the (rancid) arse of crusty. I liked them them, though.

Bauhaus weren't Goth because Goth hadn't been declared then. But they were (rightfully) adopted by Goths in hindsight. They were regulars at The Bat Cave club in London, for flip's sake (along with Alien Sex Fiend, Red Lorry Yellow Lorry, Specimen, etc).

Here's a good way to wind up a Goth (original 80s Goths, not the 90s Emo reinventiion). When someone says, 'I used to a Goth in the 80s', say, 'oh yeah, I liked Def Leppard as well'.*
You can see the smoke coming out of their ears.

*Hmm...in hindsight, I wonder if you could do the same with Marillion...
An Absent Humphrey

PreviousNext

Return to The Froth Pot