State of the Union - pre/post election & whatever...

Here you can discuss anything froth related that does not fit into another forum, or indeed any nonsense that should enter your head.

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Re: State of the Union - pre/post election & whatever...

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:20 pm

Jakar Nilson wrote:I see the South wants to beat the casualty numbers from the ACW.

That’s a high bar, but with good old Yankee ingenuity... Oh. Wait.

As a Republican, I’ve always thought that Trump’s main agenda was to destroy the Republican Party. He lost the House, he lost the Senate, he lost the White House. Now he’s destroying any Republican gains in the state governors.
His final act will be to kill off (literally) anyone who would vote Republican.
I’m going to wait and see what tomorrow, March 4, brings about. If it’s a Millerite failure, maybe I’ll stay. If it’s what all the handwringers on CNN are predicting, I’ll be switching my registration.
Bubba Clinton made me resign in disgust as a Democrat.
Are the Whigs taking members? I don’t know how to use a goose quill pen.

Postby Voice From Limbo » Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:37 am

I'll remind you that a series of Millerite failures made more Millerites.

And BTW, I don't think Michigan is considered a "Southern" state.
Voice From Limbo

Postby McKinstry » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:08 am

And therein lies a pretty clear yet depressing truism. Idiots seem to inevitably begat more idiots. I fully expect the Trumpist Q-anoniots to spawn yet more stupid and paranoid loons.
McKinstry

Postby Macunaima » Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:15 am

McKinstry wrote:

And therein lies a pretty clear yet depressing truism. Idiots seem to inevitably begat more idiots. I fully expect the Trumpist Q-anoniots to spawn yet more stupid and paranoid loons.

Yes, it’s a very proud American tradition. Religious radicalism, bloody-minded ignorance posed as “independent thinking” and “freedom of conscience”, and splinter groups splitting off from splinter groups of true believers, followed by witch hunting and bloodshed.

Whomever did the Septics get those cultural traditions from?
Macunaima

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:54 am

Macunaima wrote:Yes, it’s a very proud American tradition. Religious radicalism, bloody-minded ignorance posed as “independent thinking” and “freedom of conscience”, and splinter groups splitting off from splinter groups of true believers, followed by witch hunting and bloodshed.

Why do you think we put them all in a boat and sent them across the Atlantic all those years ago?

Macunaima wrote:Whomever did the Septics get those cultural traditions from?

Countries which had the sense to see what nonsense it was and decided to get rid of them (see above) and then had the good sense to develop and evolve.

Postby Il Segaiolo Pedantesco » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:00 am

Guest wrote:
Macunaima wrote:Yes, it’s a very proud American tradition. Religious radicalism, bloody-minded ignorance posed as “independent thinking” and “freedom of conscience”, and splinter groups splitting off from splinter groups of true believers, followed by witch hunting and bloodshed.

Why do you think we put them all in a boat and sent them across the Atlantic all those years ago?

You did it again for Australia and again...

Many of the world's current problems stem from Victorian era exports.
Guest wrote:
Macunaima wrote:Whomever did the Septics get those cultural traditions from?

Countries which had the sense to see what nonsense it was and decided to get rid of them (see above) and then had the good sense to develop and evolve.

:roll:
*SVM MALLEVS CVNNORVM*

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose...
- Alphonse Karr
Il Segaiolo Pedantesco

Postby Etranger2 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:10 am

The difference is that the Yanks got the religious nutters, Oz got the political dissenters; both levened with a fair number of criminals
Etranger2

Postby The Jim Jones Cocktail Hour » Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:26 pm

Macunaima wrote:
McKinstry wrote:

Yes, it’s a very proud American tradition. Religious radicalism, bloody-minded ignorance posed as “independent thinking” and “freedom of conscience”, and splinter groups splitting off from splinter groups of true believers, followed by witch hunting and bloodshed.

Whomever did the Septics get those cultural traditions from?

Good question because if it were a uniquely British thing you would expect Australia, New Zealand and Canada to be just as fucked up. They aren’t so pretty obviously it ain’t that. Etranger is right though, the US got the religious maniacs that nobody wanted, Oz just got the petty crims. Australia became the world’s largest open prison, the US the world’s biggest free range Christian madrassa.

Maybe it’s the Dutch influence? The tin tanks do seem to have a lot more in common with Brother Boer than they do with the rest of the Anglosphere. Sense of being God’s own folk? Check. Fundy religious nutters? Check? Big on racism? Check. Genocidal instincts? Check. Love of barbeques? Check.
The Jim Jones Cocktail Hour

Postby Macunaima » Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:26 pm

Dutch influence figures in there somewhere, for sure.
Macunaima

Postby Il Segaiolo Pedantesco » Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:01 pm

Etranger2 wrote:The difference is that the Yanks got the religious nutters, Oz got the political dissenters; both levened with a fair number of criminals

And the Orange Don won the election... :roll:
*SVM MALLEVS CVNNORVM*

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose...
- Alphonse Karr
Il Segaiolo Pedantesco

PreviousNext

Return to The Froth Pot