So this EU thing

Here you can discuss anything froth related that does not fit into another forum, or indeed any nonsense that should enter your head.

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Re: So this EU thing

Postby Picador » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:07 pm

tome noun

chiefly humorous a book, especially a large, scholarly one.

ORIGIN
C16: from French, via Latin from Greek tomos 'section, roll of papyrus, volume'.

Say what you like about LotR. It's a fucking big book.
Stone Mountain's OK with IP theft, so Bill deleted his thread to protect him from looking a cunt.

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg ... ?id=521602
Picador

Postby Ssanemax » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:26 pm

Bollocks to Brexit wrote:I read it two or three times as a teenager and enjoyed it; I tried reading it again a few years ago and found myself wondering what sort of utter arse I must have been as a teenager.

'Have been?' :)

I don't see anything Gay in the book. Sam is just the perfect 'Good' working class character who knows his place and does what the master says, while the Orcs are the 'Bad' working classes who probably scared the shit out of John as a kid.

The film now - Sam and Frodo need to get a room, they really do. Brokeback Mountdoom.
Ssanemax

Postby Bronshtein » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:56 am

Leaving the LGBTQ+ book club for a moment, tucked away in Barnier's statement on why dePfeffel won't cuddle is this:

a lack of progress on some important topics like the protection of personal data, climate change commitments or carbon pricing;

Protection of personal data?

There will be a bit of German sulking about the GCHQ/NSA special relationship driving that - good, serves 'em right (the Germans not our Brave Siginteers) - but a lot more about a deal with America involving flogging everyone's data to Social Media Gits to make their advertising revenue flow.

Sod the fish, you can have them, but we demand the Sovereign Right to flog everyone's data for some chlorinated chicken and yummy hormone beef.
Bronshtein

Postby Bollocks to Brexit » Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:16 pm

Ssanemax wrote:
Bollocks to Brexit wrote:I read it two or three times as a teenager and enjoyed it; I tried reading it again a few years ago and found myself wondering what sort of utter arse I must have been as a teenager.

'Have been?' :)

I don't see anything Gay in the book. Sam is just the perfect 'Good' working class character who knows his place and does what the master says, while the Orcs are the 'Bad' working classes who probably scared the shit out of John as a kid.

The film now - Sam and Frodo need to get a room, they really do. Brokeback Mountdoom.

Well, being an arse is probably better than being you.

However, I agree with you about the characterisation in the book.
Bollocks to Brexit

Postby Bollocks to Brexit » Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:24 pm

Bronshtein wrote:And you think Victorian/Edwardian ripping yarns with smooth cheeked yet plucky boy soldier heroes aren't full of repressed homosexual longing?

I've been reading and using the word 'tome' since at least the early 1960s. I see no reason to abandon it now. Especially if it would mean surrendering it to the clutches of the writer of 'I Love Lucy' Napoleonic fan fiction

No, I don't think they are; you are looking at it from your late 20th/early 21st century perspective. Those smooth cheeked yet plucky young boy soldier heroes were more a reflection of an ideal of what an English chap be and how he should behave. George Macdonald Fraser understood that perfectly, which is a large part of what makes the Flashman books such a wonderful antidote to so many Victorian and Edwardian ripping yarns.
Bollocks to Brexit

Postby Bollocks to Brexit » Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:33 pm

Picador wrote:
tome noun

ORIGIN
C16: from French, via Latin from Greek tomos 'section, roll of papyrus, volume'.

Or three reasonably sized books.
Bollocks to Brexit

Postby Il Segaiolo Pedantesco » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:58 pm

UK PM Boris Johnson insists Covid has not robbed him of his mojo as he unveils economic pledges...

Had to re-read the title, 'cause I thought it was referring to BJ's virility... :roll:
*SVM MALLEVS CVNNORVM*

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose...
- Alphonse Karr
Il Segaiolo Pedantesco

Postby Macunaima » Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:18 pm

Picador wrote:I think he means we're all stunty, hairy footed troglodytes with a peculiar culture. With bad teeth of course.

CUTE stunty, hairy footed, short-sighted, provincials; suspicious of strangers but essentially good people, with a peculiar culture and who brew good beer and grow decent weed.
Macunaima

Postby Bronshtein » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:03 pm

Bollocks to Brexit wrote:
Picador wrote:
tome noun

ORIGIN

Which is why his publisher said 'This is a fucking big book, maybe we can get away with it as three volumes? And lose some of the gay stuff eh John?'
Bronshtein

Postby Bollocks to Brexit » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:37 pm

Bronshtein wrote:
Bollocks to Brexit wrote:
Picador wrote:
tome noun

ORIGIN

Which is why his publisher said 'This is a fucking big book, maybe we can get away with it as three volumes? And lose some of the gay stuff eh John?'

Bloody capitalists! Still, it kept him in pipe tobacco for the rest of his life.
Bollocks to Brexit

PreviousNext

Return to The Froth Pot