State of the Union - pre/post election & whatever...

Here you can discuss anything froth related that does not fit into another forum, or indeed any nonsense that should enter your head.

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Re: State of the Union - pre/post election & whatever...

Postby Macunaima » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:38 pm

To be clear, when I say “end of civilization”, I don’t mean a disaster of Atlantean proportions (although that is certainly possible: a nuclear exchange between India and Pakistan would probably fit that bill and — more longer term — unless we get exceedingly more clever than we are, climate change will do the job).

I’m talking more about things on this level:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_World_of_Yesterday

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gra ... pest_Hotel

Both worth reading and watching if you haven’t yet.
Macunaima
 
Posts: 6087
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 1:54 pm

Re: State of the Union - pre/post election & whatever...

Postby Macunaima » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:42 pm

Ssanemax wrote:
Macunaima wrote:please: take all the piss out of me you like and I won’t say a word in objection.


we needed your permission all of a sudden?


Without me saying a word in reply? Yes, you do Pat Deepburrow. :)

Or let’s go one better: I will say “You’re right, you’re right”. There. That should make your toehairs quivver.

Want to make a little wager on the side, Pat? My record on these things is pretty bad, after all. I bet my stepbrother that Bozo would be dead by last December and that the dollar would go to 5 reais by 2021. Only one of those things has come true.
Macunaima
 
Posts: 6087
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 1:54 pm

Re: State of the Union - pre/post election & whatever...

Postby Ssanemax » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:57 pm

Macunaima wrote:
Ssanemax wrote:
Macunaima wrote:please: take all the piss out of me you like and I won’t say a word in objection.


we needed your permission all of a sudden?


Without me saying a word in reply? Yes, you do Pat Deepburrow. :)

Or let’s go one better: I will say “You’re right, you’re right”. There. That should make your toehairs quivver.

Want to make a little wager on the side, Pat? My record on these things is pretty bad, after all. I bet my stepbrother that Bozo would be dead by last December and that the dollar would go to 5 reais by 2021. Only one of those things has come true.



There would be no point.

a -We would place a bet that 'civilisation as we know it will come to an end by 2025' and you would then cavil about what the definition of civilisation is. Or what the definition of 2025 is. or the definition of 'is' for that fucking matter.

b - if civilisation comes to an end we will have slightly better things to worry about than whether you are a cockhead.

c - we already know you are a cockhead. That bet is settled.

On the topic of predictions, I see that American professor who claims to have called every election since 1984 correctly has come out that Trump will lose this one. I watched his little spiel and felt very sad. He has 13 KPI and if the incumbent gets 6 wrong he predicts they will lose. Problem is, almost all Trumpie's 'false's' are as a direct result of Covid-19. I am going to hazard a guess that an awful lot of Trump Voters will be sayin 'Economy? Not his Fault - that was the Chinese virus' 'Civil Unrest? Not his fault - Darkies and Commies fault' etc etc etc
User avatar
Ssanemax
 

Re: State of the Union - pre/post election & whatever...

Postby Ssanemax » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:11 pm

Picador or someone, 5th August 2025 wrote: Holy fuck! My wife's Boss just killed, cooked and ate the guy who cleans our pool. Government has collapsed. There are disease-ridden armed gangs running amok in the street! Everyone is trying to kill me.!


Macunaima wrote:That's what it's like every day here in BRAZZZZZZZZZZZZZILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
User avatar
Ssanemax
 

Re: State of the Union - pre/post election & whatever...

Postby Macunaima » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:21 pm

Ssanemax wrote:
Macunaima wrote:
Ssanemax wrote:
Macunaima wrote:please: take all the piss out of me you like and I won’t say a word in objection.


we needed your permission all of a sudden?


Without me saying a word in reply? Yes, you do Pat Deepburrow. :)

Or let’s go one better: I will say “You’re right, you’re right”. There. That should make your toehairs quivver.

Want to make a little wager on the side, Pat? My record on these things is pretty bad, after all. I bet my stepbrother that Bozo would be dead by last December and that the dollar would go to 5 reais by 2021. Only one of those things has come true.



There would be no point.

a -We would place a bet that 'civilisation as we know it will come to an end by 2025' and you would then cavil about what the definition of civilisation is. Or what the definition of 2025 is. or the definition of 'is' for that fucking matter.

b - if civilisation comes to an end we will have slightly better things to worry about than whether you are a cockhead.

c - we already know you are a cockhead. That bet is settled.

On the topic of predictions, I see that American professor who claims to have called every election since 1984 correctly has come out that Trump will lose this one. I watched his little spiel and felt very sad. He has 13 KPI and if the incumbent gets 6 wrong he predicts they will lose. Problem is, almost all Trumpie's 'false's' are as a direct result of Covid-19. I am going to hazard a guess that an awful lot of Trump Voters will be sayin 'Economy? Not his Fault - that was the Chinese virus' 'Civil Unrest? Not his fault - Darkies and Commies fault' etc etc etc


Scared to put money where your mouth is Pat? I am not saying “civilization will have come to an end by 2025” (nice strawman, by the way). I AM saying that in 2025 things will be bleedingly obviously worse for the UK, the US, and Brazil than they were in January 2020 — that we will be looking back on that as “the end of the good times”, although the precise date might be 2016 for some, most anyone posting here will be saying “Jeezis, but things really have fallen off the track since then, haven’t they?”

As for Trump... it’s not going to be the faithful that carry the election for him. Those are already counted. He has to do three things:

1) Push the middle of the road and even the left into NOT voting;
2) Make sure he mobilizes absolutely every RWNJ he can (not an easy task and not all of them are Tump faithful);
3) Trust to gerrymandering and the Supremes to eliminate any possibility of the popular vote meaning anything (this, I think he can count on).
Macunaima
 
Posts: 6087
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 1:54 pm

Re: State of the Union - pre/post election & whatever...

Postby Macunaima » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:23 pm

You are right, however: a lot depends on how COVID 19 is massaged before November, which is why Trump wants schools open immediately. If that happens and we get a ton of sick children in October.... he’s sunk.
Macunaima
 
Posts: 6087
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 1:54 pm

Re: State of the Union - pre/post election & whatever...

Postby kyotebue2 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:54 pm

All 4 schools that my Grandkids go to have gone to virtual school this fall, so dodged that bullet for now.
kyotebue2
 
Posts: 7206
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:31 pm
Location: The Oklahoma Dust Bowl.

Re: State of the Union - pre/post election & whatever...

Postby Another Grandpa » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:47 pm

kyotebue2 wrote:All 4 schools that my Grandkids go to have gone to virtual school this fall, so dodged that bullet for now.

All the arguments for keeping the schools open boil down to “Oh, come on. It’s not going to kill all that many kids.”
Trump’s youngest, Barron, goes to a school that has already postponed school in the Fall.
User avatar
Another Grandpa
 

Re: State of the Union - pre/post election & whatever...

Postby Bronshtein » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:38 am

Ssanemax wrote:
Bronshtein wrote: i remember when all this was Dinosaurs. Proper Dinosaurs, not like the nasty little ones you get nowadays.


Old bastards have been predicting the impending end of civilisation for as long as people started living past 30.

Er, not my point.
I maybe should have been clearer -
And nothing is fixed.
was meant to suggest that the end of the world may not be predestined after all.
We can make the future what we want.
I want young people to take control and not listen to dinosaur remembrance tapes you fuckwit.
Of course it will be different - good.
Let it be your daughters and my daughter and son who decide what their generation's version of the world will be.
User avatar
Bronshtein
 
Posts: 7936
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:53 am
Location: The Promised Land

Re: State of the Union - pre/post election & whatever...

Postby Ssanemax » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:06 am

Macunaima wrote:Scared to put money where your mouth is Pat? I am not saying “civilization will have come to an end by 2025”



Macunaima wrote:Civilization as we know it is indeed coming to an end, as in 1914-45 or 1775-1815. Some new global system is going to take its place and millions — maybe many millions are going to die.


Not scared to put my money where my mouth is. But no one with any sense puts any money where yours has a chance to flap.
User avatar
Ssanemax
 

PreviousNext

Return to The Froth Pot

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 54 guests