Spambot Invasion!

Here is where we ask YOU for your thoughts and ideas on the FU!UK content... Dead links, errors, or ideas you would like to help us develop... we'll take all suggestions to improve your online frothing experience!

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Re: Spambot Invasion!

Postby Voice From Limbo » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:35 pm

You're one of the few making regular posts off the Froth Pot -- I say keep it up -- maybe it will pump some life in the old bitch.

I'll try to come up with something or other too -- though several of my attempts have yielded little or no response. Probably because I'm fucking boring. :cry:
Voice From Limbo

Postby Hermit » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:01 pm

In most cases, a moderator would only need to delete some accounts that are spamming the most and a big part of the problem would be dealt with.

The Doc seems to paying for the domain each year. It renews each May. I wonder if he'll pay for renewal this year! :shock:
Hermit

Postby Bronshtein » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:01 am

I don't do Facebook so I don't know if the figure comps and sales have migrated over there - if not it seems a bit much to ask someone to pay for this out of their own pocket. If we could get the Spam sorted I'd be happy to chip in a few quid - but I guess it needs more than a domain and a few homeless wanderers.

We need some sculptors and painters and gamers back.
Bronshtein

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:59 am

Sorry, Bron et al.
You ruined this site years ago with your TMP fixation.
You and the ex-TMPers weren't posting anywhere or anything else (in fairness, you personally did other posts) and made constant references to Bill and TMP on other threads you did post on.
There were lots of murmurings then from many of the regulars but you just decided not to give a fuck and they steadily trickled away.
Hoist by your own petard, I'm afraid.
Yes, Rev's spaz out caused some disruptions as well. But the site still carried on. You, and everyone else, knows that the TMP obsession is what drove people away, regardless what you or anyone else will try to claim to justify your actions.

In fairness, I do wonder if there may be other causes. Personally, I find there's only so much to keep saying about miniatures gaming. The fact that Random Platypus fell flat, and that TWW is limping along at best, and even LAF has pretty much descended into 'Look at my painting'/ 'That's great!' shows that may be the case. Lots of people say that forums still have their place and can do things the likes of Facebook can't, and that may be the case. But it also seems no one (or, not enough people) is interested in doing those things. Maybe that's because there's only so much that can be said about miniatures gaming and all people really need are those quick exchanges that Facebook offers. Forums may bring continuation and focus but, again, as LAF shows, is anyone really interested in 'that looks great!' threads?

Postby Australian Dawn » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:14 am

I agree there are only so many things the average poster can say about gaming, that's why I've always been glad this site encourages gamers to chat about anything, much like how gamers chat when they meet up in real life between bouts of dice rolling.
Enforcing strict rules against talking about broader interests seems artificial and anti intuitive IMHO, Frothers has never taken that path, thank god.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Australian Dawn

Postby Australian Dawn » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:21 pm

I PMed Captain of Ark B. and he doesn't clean up the Froth Pot, Brother M. (a bloke named Maynard) was doing it but he hasn't seen him around since Christmas. That sounds a bit ominous...
I assume Brother M. is committee member Br.M in the members list, has anyone seen him about or had contact? Let's hope he's OK, hopefully he's just gone on a long, well deserved holiday and will return to set the FrothPot to rights any day now...

Maybe if we showed some appreciation? Three cheers for Brother M. cleaner of the Frothpot!

Hip hip, HOORAY!

(please don't be dead.) :angelroll:
Australian Dawn

Postby Bronshtein » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:45 pm

Guest - familiar tone.

However, you are wrong. (You may have pissed of because of the Sad Cunts thread but the reasons are manifold)

I'm not a TMP obsessive - probably a Frothpot obsessive - can't find the bit that used to tell you where your posts went, I know my post history was/is massively skewed to the Pot - but I post on, and start, lots of other threads than the Sad Cunts thread - it winds me up as well that it has become the dumping ground for everything, but I can exercise a little discretion over that - and so can most others.

The problems when the site kept falling over saw a big loss - Random Platypus tried to correct that - have you been there lately - nice place for a snooze on an afternoon. (actually anytime). The various 'tiffs' which saw sculptors and painters pissing off in a huff didn't help.

As for the whole 'nothing new to say' problem - I get that. After 48 years of gaming ( :shock: fuck me!) I find the enthusiasm is different. But where is the fresh blood? Not in fora I guess. Facebook? Is Frothers Facebook thriving? Don't do Facebook so I don't know, but I doubt it is flooded with 16 year old neophytes craving ritual abuse from Frothers.

So Frothers will die - everything dies but 'do not gentle into that good night'.
Fucking vianelles. :evil:

PS -didn't see Dawn's post - yes, thank you Br.M - work vastly appreciated - if dead please come back as whatever undead type you want- we can spare a few brains/pints of blood if required.
Seriously thanks to whoever kept the place running for so long.
Bronshtein

Postby Australian Dawn » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:04 pm

Bugger- looks like Br.M has Private Message turned off.
Please come back Br.M! We need you!
Australian Dawn

Postby Etranger2 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:31 am

Time to resurrect the good Brother M...
Etranger2

Postby Hermit » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:26 pm

There was always someone who came on here from time to time to do a bit of spam clearance. If that was Brother M, then yes, he did a good job :) If he's decided to jack it in, then who can blame him? He was doing all the work, after all.

But, it does look as if the forum will end its days drowning in a slurry of spam. A sad end really :( Perhaps Doc will make one final appearance, a month before the renewal, clean everything up and allow some dignity in its death before he finally pulls the plug on it.

It's had a good run. In internet terms, it's fucking ancient, so it's got nothing to be ashamed of there. As for the TMP focus, I think it's agreed that Monty Bill and his far right goons on there pretty much deserved it.
Hermit

PreviousNext

Return to Frother Feedback Box