So this EU thing

Here you can discuss anything froth related that does not fit into another forum, or indeed any nonsense that should enter your head.

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Re: So this EU thing

Postby JJCH nli » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:09 am

Anyone who can rate Argentina above Indonesia must be using some fucking odd metrics.

Still, I’ve just been exposed to a program on Radio National that was trying to convince its audience that prog rock wasn’t a load of utter shite and that Emerson Lake and Palmer weren’t a bunch of pretentious fucking wankers. My scepticism levels are already peaking in the red.
JJCH nli

Postby Australian Dawn » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:15 am

I must admit I'm surprised India isn't higher on that chart, a bit dodgy if you ask me, but after the cricket results I'll take any advantage I can get, so....
In your face India! You're just a reeeegional power, small beer, Australia is HEMISPHERIC! :P

It doesn't help. :(
De gustibus non est disputandum
Australian Dawn

Postby ... - - - ... » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:16 am

JJCH nli wrote:Anyone who can rate Argentina above Indonesia must be using some fucking odd metrics.

Still, I’ve just been exposed to a program on Radio National that was trying to convince its audience that prog rock wasn’t a load of utter shite and that Emerson Lake and Palmer weren’t a bunch of pretentious fucking wankers. My scepticism levels are already peaking in the red.

I see your ELP and raise you The Enid!
... - - - ...

Postby JJCH nli » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:02 am

Oh let’s not fuck around with Dutch auctions. We all know where prog rock ends or rather what it becomes.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=glLkNo60t3w

The sad thing is it didn’t end ten years earlier, with someone forcing Robert Fripp to choke on his own literal and metaphorical vomit.
JJCH nli

Postby ... - - - ... » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:57 am

JJCH nli wrote:Oh let’s not fuck around with Dutch auctions. We all know where prog rock ends or rather what it becomes.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=glLkNo60t3w

The sad thing is it didn’t end ten years earlier, with someone forcing Robert Fripp to choke on his own literal and metaphorical vomit.

ELO weren't really prog, they were just shit.

Fripp is a cunt of the first order. A truly, deeply unpleasant human being.
... - - - ...

Postby Bronshtein » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:05 pm

Leaving aside banned weaponry, (Prog Rock) the ranking system for the list of 'major powers' may have the odd flaw -

It includes a broad spectrum of capabilities, across several areas of national capacity, from the capacity of each major power’s projection forces to the scale of its sporting prowess (it does not only measure “soft power”, or global presence, etc.)

So England got to the semi finals of the Association Football World Cup whereas the PRC haven't qualified for the finals tournament since 2002 (their only appearance) so England are MUCH more powerful than China (in kicking a plastic simulacrum of a pig's bladder about a bit of grass, real of artificial).

Likewise the USA barely figures in international sporting prowess, one wonders how they can rank so high? After all:

It is not necessarily a ranking of countries’ warfighting capacity, even assuming that the major powers – especially those armed with nuclear weapons – could engage and prevail in such conflict. Rather, the Audit assumes prevailing geopolitical circumstances, where the major powers compete for influence in the “grey zone” between “peace” and “war”

Harry Kane is Britain's (England's and therefore Britain's) Weapon of Mass Destruction!
Bronshtein

Postby Australian Dawn » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:23 pm

Bronshtein wrote:Leaving aside banned weaponry, (Prog Rock) the ranking system for the list of 'major powers' may have the odd flaw -

It includes a broad spectrum of capabilities, across several areas of national capacity, from the capacity of each major power’s projection forces to the scale of its sporting prowess (it does not only measure “soft power”, or global presence, etc.)

So much for Australia being a Hemispheric power then, by that chart's logic and after the thrashing India gave us we must count as a failed state by now. :(
De gustibus non est disputandum
Australian Dawn

Postby Bronshtein » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:58 pm

Well to be fair that chart was a tad out of date, after recent cricket and Rugby Union performances you're probably being administered by a Kiwi peacekeeping force but no-one's noticed.

I liked this from the same report:

the UK is the most ‘geopolitically-capable and well-rounded’ of the European major powers.

:loopy: :loopy: :loopy: :loopy:
Presumably 'well rounded' on the basis that post Brexit vote, we hate everyone on an equal opportunity footing, and they all hate us.
Bronshtein

Postby heaps of bodies » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:00 pm

I didnt dwell on the detail, but is that chart suggesting that if the UK allied with Australia we could Kick the US's arse?

Great Chart!

Bring Back the Empire! God save the Queen!
heaps of bodies

Postby Bronshtein » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:14 pm

Did anyone see Brexit: An Uncivil War last night by the way?

Quite mild I thought, but then there are still crass defamation laws in the UK and even telling the truth will sometimes cost you a fortune, especially with some of the psychopaths involved in Brexit.

Cumberbatch's Cummings was far too sympathetic - the experience was a bit like watching 'Downfall' and feeling that Hitler may have been okay if he had had the right post traumatic stress treatment after the Great War, not what you expected, and not true.

It did leave one with the feeling that as the leave campaigns broke electoral laws on funding and Banks' mob is under criminal investigation for its election activities, perhaps the result should be set aside and the thing either run again with grown ups running the Remain campaign this time, or just set aside.

After all we all applauded when Yanukovych's Ukraine election was overturned by thugs, and the international electoral authorities said that was a legitimate election, unlike our referendum. So perhaps democracy should stand up for itself and annul the result of a rigged election here?
Bronshtein

PreviousNext

Return to The Froth Pot