BBC is making a Victorian-era War of the Worlds

Post your views about what's on the telly-box (not about transvestites, unless it is a programme about transvestism, and even that is borderline unless there are also ladyboys).

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Re: BBC is making a Victorian-era War of the Worlds

Postby Voice From Limbo » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:54 pm

Several specialty publishers have reprinted "forgotten" books over the years, one of them Hyperion Press, back in the 70's, a few of which I have. You may recognize some of the names on this list, but most of them are obscure:

http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pubseries.cgi?199

I don't know if any featured time travel. And finding copies might be difficult, though I believe some are available as ebooks.

This guy was a little late:

http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?266251

But there may be earlier ones in there.

Gregg Press also had a reprint series:

http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pubseries.cgi?2335
Voice From Limbo

Postby HongKongPhooey » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:08 pm

Just for clarity, I'm a Brit, saw it, and moderately enjoyed it.
Tale retold from a different perspective and very much in line with H G Wells world views (at the time he wrote it)
HongKongPhooey

Postby Bronshtein » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:24 am

I confess I haven't seen it yet - I'll have to commandeer a television/computer/tablet and some bandwidth from my family (the darlings :evil: )to catch up with it.

The simple expedient of googling time travel stories reveals a time travelling angel from 1998 in a 1733 epistolatory novel, returning to 1728 to warn everyone of the dangers of Catholicism.

Written my one Samuel Madden, an Irish prod, it doesn't explain how the time travel works but makes darn sure everyone know of the terrors of letting them left footers get away with stuff.

Wait a minute - 1998?! The Good Friday Agreement - fuck me this Madden guy was on to something!
Bronshtein

Postby Voice From Limbo » Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:48 am

Oh, yeah, Google -- didn’t think of that. :cry:
Voice From Limbo

Postby Australian Dawn » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:08 am

No matter how many times I'm told I usually forget I can simply Google anything I want to know about. :oops:

Glad to hear you moderately enjoyed the show HongKongPhooey.

I was going to buy it on DVD as soon as it came out but I think I'll wait a while until it comes down in price.
Since it's getting mixed reviews (and since I blew the money I was going to use on Tinman Figs :oops: )
De gustibus non est disputandum
Australian Dawn

Postby Australian Dawn » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:07 am

Just googled to see what people have been saying about this miniseries.
:shock:

Peoples opinions have really turned negative since the final episode!
I'm guessing this show won't spark the golden age of VSF television I was hoping for (well I at least thought we might get more Wells, The First Men In The Moon maybe?) Most of the books from the links Voice From Limbo posted would be too much to hope for. :(

I thought patriotism in a Brexit world might inspire some interest in Britain's Science Fiction heritage. It'd be nice to see something good come out of Britain disappearing up it's own arsehole. God knows Australia would never invest in our old science fiction writers, I'd love for someone to have a go at something like Out Of The Silence, but with this government in Aus I think the Arts are a low priority. :(
Australian Dawn

Postby Voice From Limbo » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:22 pm

In a Brexit world, I'd think something like AVBCW might be in order -- more Alt-History than SF, but you could introduce some Steam (if not necessarily Punk) elements.

From a perfunctory Google, it looks like the closest thing, Ian McKellen's Richard III, lost money, but that was a quarter century ago now. Ahead of its time?
Voice From Limbo

Postby The Watcher » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:59 pm

Did not enjoy the series, found it boring.

It was obvious from the start, it was about the main female character, being the heroine, discovering the cure, and it just became predictable.
The Watcher

Postby Australian Dawn » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:04 pm

Voice From Limbo wrote:In a Brexit world, I'd think something like AVBCW might be in order -- more Alt-History than SF, but you could introduce some Steam (if not necessarily Punk) elements.

From a perfunctory Google, it looks like the closest thing, Ian McKellen's Richard III, lost money, but that was a quarter century ago now. Ahead of its time?

AVBCW might be a bit on the nose, with tentacled aliens you can at least pretend the catastrophe on the screen is fictional.
Australian Dawn

Postby Australian Dawn » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:14 pm

The Watcher wrote:Did not enjoy the series, found it boring.

It was obvious from the start, it was about the main female character, being the heroine, discovering the cure, and it just became predictable.

I wondered what the new female character meant, it came up over and over in the articles I was reading about the show, and that there was a potentially gay character (whatever that means). It sounded like a lot of agendas were being added and I wondered how much social commentary one alien invasion could possibly support.
Australian Dawn

PreviousNext

Return to TV Zone