BBC is making a Victorian-era War of the Worlds

Post your views about what's on the telly-box (not about transvestites, unless it is a programme about transvestism, and even that is borderline unless there are also ladyboys).

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Re: BBC is making a Victorian-era War of the Worlds

Postby Australian Dawn » Wed May 10, 2017 8:13 am

Bugger. :(

I've fallen behind in my viewing and have been looking forward to catching up. I'm saddened to hear the show has gone off the rails. :(

Where ever the show involves literature (usually in storylines for the scatterbrained cop who writes) or inventions (involving Murdoch) they do seem to like to make the relevant characters a bit "visionary" and "before their time," but to me it mainly seems done in a light hearted spirit, not to push agendas.
The writers seem to think it's funny and clever (goodness knows why :roll: ) to have the main characters foresee future developments, usually just to have them or others laugh off or brush aside the idea as absurd.
It's not clever or funny, shows no wit or effort on the part of the writers, and is quite annoying, but IMHO only a minor gripe in what has on the whole been a very well made and entertaining series.

It's not the stories, which I like but can get a bit OTT and silly, but their work depicting the overall background and setting, despite the occasional silly episode, that I think they've done a stand out job on.

I hope they can recover from any mistakes they've made in the latest season.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Australian Dawn

Postby Australian Dawn » Mon May 29, 2017 10:12 am

This thread has got me interested in War of the Worlds adaptions. Has anyone seen this one? Is it any good?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._G._Wells%27_The_War_of_the_Worlds_(Timothy_Hines_film)

It might be interesting to compare it to the BBC TV series when it comes out.
Australian Dawn

Postby WholeHazelNuts » Wed May 31, 2017 8:55 am

Oh good god no! It's dreadful...
Sub-par acting, effects and everything. Like a glorified fan film
WholeHazelNuts

Postby Australian Dawn » Wed May 31, 2017 9:25 am

OK, Thanks for the review.
I think I'll give it a miss and wait for the BBC series and hope they do a better job then. :)
Australian Dawn

Postby Australian Dawn » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:53 am

This may be getting slightly off topic, but this Thread and the upcoming BBC series have re-sparked my interest in War of the Worlds.

I've been looking into All Quiet On The Martian Front and was a bit surprised to see that it seems mainly set in the USA. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised as the Americans seem to have hijacked The War of The Worlds pretty early on with "sequels" radio and screen adaptions etc. But I must admit I was slightly annoyed.

How do Brits feel about this "cultural appropriation"? Do you think the change in the story's European copyright status will open the floodgates for non other American takes on this story like this BBC series or new games/minis?

Is All Quiet on the Martian Front popular in Britain?

Did the US focus put people (particularly Brits?) off?

Does anyone here know how closely this game follow the details of the H.G. Wells story that obviously inspired its background? Are there games out there more faithful to Wells story?

The Minis look good, are there better ones, or ones more faithful to the H.G. Wells books, out there?
Australian Dawn

Postby Australian Dawn » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:37 am

Just found this and thought it was catchy and appropriate for this thread (spoilers...I guess)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFc0MtL-95M
Australian Dawn

Postby Australian Dawn » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:50 am

Has this been aired in Britain yet? I've been expecting to see it in the DVD store but it seems to be taking it's own sweet time. Production troubles?
Australian Dawn

Postby Australian Dawn » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:27 am

I've been reading this and thought it might be of interest to anyone labouring under the false idea that H.G. Wells invented Alien Invasion fiction. Irving did it first, complete with ray guns:

http://www.mythaxis.co.uk/5issue3.htm

Even the heavy handed moral is a bit close for comfort.

Might make a few good gaming scenarios though.
Australian Dawn

Postby Australian Dawn » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:37 am

You guys have probably seen this game already but I somehow missed it.
looks like Tripods are in at the moment. Must be because H.G Wells' book's copyright is up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEFVKmii4ss

The minis look fine but I don't know how early planes would hold up against Tripods, not well I'd imagine.
I can't help imagining a tripod swatting at planes as it clings to Big Ben with a woman in it's tentacles a la King Kong.
Australian Dawn

Postby Australian Dawn » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:12 pm

The BBC might have some competition here:
http://bloody-disgusting.com/tv/3511327 ... elivision/

(Or not, this'll be crap, lets face it.)

But I wonder how many people are going to have a go at War of The Worlds and if any of his other stories are going to be adapted? It would be nice to see someone try The First Men In The Moon but nobody seems to be able to see past the tripods it seems. :(
Australian Dawn

PreviousNext

Return to TV Zone