Re-reading Stephen King

Works of literature worth frothing over (or avoiding like the pox).

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Re: Re-reading Stephen King

Postby Duff » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:04 pm

I enjoy his short stories but I can't be having his full length books, bar Salem's Lot. Just too bloated, and often a bit boring.
broney wrote:You weren't there man! How many stiles are there on the Offa's Dyke Walk? You don't know Man!

Duff
Associate Member

Postby Cosmotiger » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:16 pm

The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one, he said.
Cosmotiger

Postby Clayface » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:17 am

a lot of King's later stuff is utter shite - but 'the Stand' is not just his best book, it may be one of the best books. Don't make the mistake of buying one of his 'updated' versions - the original is far superior and tighter, if you can call a book that big 'tight'.

I read it aged about 12 and was utterly enchanted and terrified. It's a genuinely creepy book.

I SWEAR this is a true - the first time I read it, in one sitting, i was sat up in bed at about 2 AM, at the point where the characters are starting to have the dreams - and there is a TAP! TAP! on my window. I stumble, literally whimpering in fear, to my window and look out - and there is a tall dark figure standing on our flat roof looking up at me.

It was my brother, drunk and without his keys - but i thought The walking Dude had come for me - I almost got religion.

Pat
Clayface

Postby mr tough guy » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:19 pm

I've been meaning to read the Stand and reread Eyes of the Dragon ever since I've read the Dark Tower series, but I just can't be arsed at the moment as my to read pile is huge and is only growing as I buy books faster then I read them.
Image Image
mr tough guy

Postby Vermis » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:42 am

My username around the nerd-net came from a story in a Stephen King anthology. :P Although I can't say I've read much else apart from The Shining, from which I can barely remember the events and tone different to the movie, except a sense of dragging.
Vermis

Postby Ajsalium » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:49 pm

Duff wrote:I enjoy his short stories but I can't be having his full length books, bar Salem's Lot. Just too bloated, and often a bit boring.

That.

But I'm a sucker for short stories, I admit. Specially in the horror genre. I've always thought that horror is about a shocking revelation that the world is not like you thought it was; a single "reality twist" that only needs a few pages to be exposed, not hundreds.
My fucking blog
Updated Jan 21st
Ajsalium

Postby carsjr » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:46 pm

mr tough guy wrote:the Green Mile, Shawshank redemption, Carrie, Apt Pupil, Misery, Stand By Me
Haven't read any of them, but they're all excellent movies, but yeah for every good adaptation there's half a dozen crappy ones

This. The Mist was mentioned as well. Another very fine (Frank Darabont) adaptation; and an 'alternate' ending SK himself wished he'd thought up.

I absolutely loved the Dark Tower series. 11/22/63 was fantastic as well. 'Salem's Lot scared the bejeezus out of me when I was 13. I haven't read it in 30 years, but the image of the vampire boy scratching at the window has stuck with me since 1984
Unladylike Karate Chops, and Ungentlemanly Haymakers!
carsjr

Previous

Return to Frother Book Club