Mongoliad

Works of literature worth frothing over (or avoiding like the pox).

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Mongoliad

Postby blackfly » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:33 pm

Anyone read it?

I was given a subscription to the online version while it was still being serialized, but I had no interest in reading it on my phone, so I waited until it came out in paper form to pick it up.

Only a few chapters in, but I'm digging it. It's not nearly as obtuse as Stephenson's work in general (which I like, don't get me wrong)- the point is that the collaborative nature really comes through as you can feel the other authors' influence in there.

So far the Mongols have been given the more interesting charachter development. The western crusaders are just getting spun up though, so I've got good hopes for them, and the eventual conflict between cultures.

So far, its shaping up to be a good romp.... we'll see.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongoliad
Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql5.sock' (111) [2002]

"There should be a special term for people who join TMP* in order to complain about something** in their first post(s)." -AECurtis (RIP)

*FUUK
**TMP
blackfly
Associate Member

Postby Squeaky » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:04 pm

I have bought it but it's still in a reading queue on my kindle. I find the idea really interesting so I'm glad it's got off to a good start bf - keep us posted :mrgreen:
Squeaky

Postby blackfly » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:33 pm

I'm not sure how I missed that it said 'Book 1' on the cover while I was reading the first ~3/4 of the story, but it made a lot more sense as I got nearer and nearer the end and couldn't figure out how they were going to wrap it all up, and finally actually looked at the cover. :loopy:

Settling in for a good romp in the next books, for sure. But I really want them NOW. In that regard, I wish book 1 had been a bit longer. Anyway, it sets a good stage for some interesting confrontations to come. Will definitely be picking up the next ones as soon as they are available.

Looks like there is a prequel, and side-story all about to release soon too. I'm excited to dive into their world a bit more.

http://www.amazon.com/Dreamer-The-Forew ... =foreworld

http://www.amazon.com/Sinner-Prequel-Mo ... 870&sr=1-6

http://www.amazon.com/The-Mongoliad-Boo ... =foreworld
Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql5.sock' (111) [2002]

"There should be a special term for people who join TMP* in order to complain about something** in their first post(s)." -AECurtis (RIP)

*FUUK
**TMP
blackfly
Associate Member

Postby blackfly » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:52 pm

Book 2 is out! should have it today. :)

*FUUK
**TMP
blackfly
Associate Member

Postby blackfly » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:45 pm

aaaand done. As good as the first. Too short. Want more. Hate waiting.

*FUUK
**TMP
blackfly
Associate Member

Re: Mongoliad

Postby mr tough guy » Tue May 21, 2013 9:58 am

Just finished book 1, and not sure if I should bother with the rest, the western crusader part was a bit boring and whenever their part came up I was hoping they would get on with it and switch to the other storylines. As for the mongol part, it was decent but honestly I think Conn Iggulden's conqueror series covers similar teritory but does it better.
The only parts I really liked were the japanese/korean fighters storyline, it was somewhat unexpected but I wouldn't mind reading more on that.

Anyway still have plenty of other books in the to read pile, so if I do continue the series it won't be anytime soon
Image Image
mr tough guy

Postby Skipp » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:40 am

taking both volumes on holiday with me, I love stephenson but as I'm flying this time I'm not carrying the hardback version of Reamde I've not finished - that'll have to come to the lakes with me the week after I get back.

What are you doing Dave?
Skipp

Postby Skipp » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:36 am

Very much enjoying these, read the 1st two volumes and now got the third...

I like how the combat scenes are exciting, then that excitement is balanced by loss of key members of the brotherhood - this seems to me to be a mature device in the writing, it stops it being too full on, and it becomes almost attritional...

Really looking forward to the last one, but am gonna have to finish Mr Banks last culture novel 1st, :( :( :(

What are you doing Dave?
Skipp

Return to Frother Book Club