Spambot Invasion!

Here is where we ask YOU for your thoughts and ideas on the FU!UK content... Dead links, errors, or ideas you would like to help us develop... we'll take all suggestions to improve your online frothing experience!

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Re: Spambot Invasion!

Postby Hermit » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:07 pm

It's alright now. The spam posts have magically disappeared, so we don't need the moderators to do anything, do we? :P :lol:
Hermit

Postby McGobbo Fett » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:35 pm

I was quite vocal a few years back about this place, to be honest I offered my help a few times but nothing. I doubt Doc and the original committee have any interest in what a lot of us have to say regarding this place. Should this place ever burn down I know a good web host company with reasonable charges we could all eventually start again.
Bounty Hunter for hire, also available for Bar Mitzvahs.
McGobbo Fett

Postby blackfly » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:44 pm

McGobbo Fett wrote:I was quite vocal a few years back about this place, to be honest I offered my help a few times but nothing. I doubt Doc and the original committee have any interest in what a lot of us have to say regarding this place. Should this place ever burn down I know a good web host company with reasonable charges we could all eventually start again.

I have just registered randomplatypus.com and will hold it for a year. If someone wants to put in the effort to build something, I'll donate it to the cause. The archive and thus much of the historical legacy of all the awesome information that flowed through here is already gone. With that, plus the difficulties due to absentee minders, there is little reason to not move on other than inertia.
Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql5.sock' (111) [2002]

"There should be a special term for people who join TMP* in order to complain about something** in their first post(s)." -AECurtis (RIP)

*FUUK
**TMP
blackfly
Associate Member

Postby mcfonz » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:54 pm

I think a deadline should be set. Key folk are all busy right now. The active folk like Pete, Dags, Duff, Akky, BLF etc should put together some sort of ultimatum to the others with a deadline for a response. If there is no movement we move. It also gives plenty oc time to prep a move if necessary.
My building and painting Blog: http://mcfonz.blogspot.co.uk/
My review blog (miniatures, terrain etc): http://miniaturesofakind.blogspot.co.uk/
mcfonz

Postby Doremi Fasol Latido » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:40 am

Nothing will happen either way.
Doremi Fasol Latido

Postby pete » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:02 am

most folks put up with the foibles of the forum, just because it has a few spammy post don't necessarily mean abandon ship...

occasionally people talk about setting up somewhere else, but it never happens, running a php.forum of any size is time consuming and boring, and its much easier to whine about it here, than actually do it... so it never happens.

The issue we have is with Frother Guest postings, and i for one think it has, on the whole, been worthwhile retaining Guest post at the expense of a little spam, because some of our best/most informative posts have come from non-members...
(check out the Defiance games thread if you don't believe me, whilst members are posting tits every 50 pages, Guests have provided us with insight and information on the workings/cluster-fuck at DG)

its a ball ache, cleaning and tiding all the time, but what the fuck, what-else have i got to fill my declining years with?
Tony Reidy of Frothers, wrote:...pissant little fucktards buzzing around being annoying.
pete
Committee Member

Postby Roger Theloger » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:24 am

But can't we make it so guests have to know something about the hobby or the board? Answer a random question from a selection correctly, rather than just tick a box.

It will prevent random spammers, and make a better class of spammers... ones who know what PMT is, or who the Evil Empire are.
ImageImage
Roger Theloger
Associate Member

Postby KingSkin » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:36 am

There is a hobby-related question for guest posters (as I discovered after Pete pointed it out to me). I think rendering them as a graphic rather than text would make it harder for spam bots to just slam in all the answers until the get the right one but that will take work at the backend so we're right back where we started.

Personally, I agree with Pete on the guest postings, although for slightly different reasons. I just think it's always fun to watch some dickhead guest try and start a ruck and watch them getting verbally firebombed.
"Not gods, but Englishmen. The next best thing."

Profanity is the crutch of inarticulate motherfuckers.

KingSkin

Postby mcfonz » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:15 am

You are right Pete - and I wouldn't personally be advocating for a move. I also like non-members to be able to have their say - but not at the expense it is at the minute.

Improvements are needed and a change in direction in terms of how the place is run. From what I can see there are more non-committee members doing stuff these days than the actual members.

My personal fear is that this place will become a bit of a backwater with spambots getting in more and more regularly to the point they just decimate some of the boards. I know that may not be likely and is just my fear but I do feel some changes are needed - but can't be actioned.
My building and painting Blog: http://mcfonz.blogspot.co.uk/
My review blog (miniatures, terrain etc): http://miniaturesofakind.blogspot.co.uk/
mcfonz

Postby pete » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:46 pm

Roger Theloger wrote:But can't we make it so guests have to know something about the hobby or the board? Answer a random question from a selection correctly, rather than just tick a box.

It will prevent random spammers, and make a better class of spammers... ones who know what PMT is, or who the Evil Empire are.

Log out and then try and post Rodge...

what you advocate is exactly what is in place... :lol:
Tony Reidy of Frothers, wrote:...pissant little fucktards buzzing around being annoying.
pete
Committee Member

PreviousNext

Return to Frother Feedback Box