VPN service recommendation

All thats frother friendly from the world of electronic gaming.

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

VPN service recommendation

Postby DemonEtrigan » Sat May 20, 2017 4:35 pm

Okay, I need to run a private network for up to 8 people to connect to. I have been trialling Himachi logmein which works pretty well but the free trial only supports a total of 5 connections. I was going to buy it but they have recently put their pricing model up to over $1000 per year for 10 connections...so nope.

Any recommendations?
DemonEtrigan

Re: VPN service recommendation

Postby andrewbeasley » Sat May 20, 2017 6:31 pm

I assume you mean to connect to the work LAN securely over the internet...

What have you got LAN side? You may have what you need already e.g. MS 2012 r2 has RAS but you may be exposing your main server to the net at this point! Apple server also has this but same risk again.

A few thoughts are the Draytek routers, Synology NAS (not home versions) or OpenVPN server
andrewbeasley

Postby DemonEtrigan » Sat May 20, 2017 8:58 pm

andrewbeasley wrote:I assume you mean to connect to the work LAN securely over the internet...

What have you got LAN side? You may have what you need already e.g. MS 2012 r2 has RAS but you may be exposing your main server to the net at this point! Apple server also has this but same risk again.

A few thoughts are the Draytek routers, Synology NAS (not home versions) or OpenVPN server

nope, ideally a cloud based VPN that will allow a number of remote computers to access and then operate as if they are on the same LAN.
DemonEtrigan

Postby andrewbeasley » Sat May 20, 2017 9:14 pm

Ah I see

You're looking for a Virtual LAN (or VLAN) rather than VPN.

Take a look at Free LAN or Comodo Unite
andrewbeasley

Postby Depote23 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:35 am

That was a nice post. Till now I was also using the best free vpn service for personal use but now I have started working online with two friends so would like to use a service which can help three of us access VPN simultaneous without degrading the speed. Could you suggest a good one?
Depote23

Postby allen99dav » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:40 pm

I also appreciate that it is also a very nice post but somehow I just want to tell the author about the free VPN service which can effect like the most and it should be free then you can contact the Hp printer support for more.
allen99dav

Return to Virtual Frother