Pony Wars: Is B Troop Coming Back?

News and discussion of your favourite wargames and new rules to make it completely unplayable.

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Re: Pony Wars: Is B Troop Coming Back?

Postby Il Bastardo Pedantesco » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:31 am

Was anything controversial about these rules and/or setting? I recall a passing comment on Paul Sawyer's blog...

The Politics of Oldhammer.

Second, wargaming can be very crass sometimes. Whether it's the insidiousness of Pony Wars (which as a rational human being and wargamer is a game I choose to despise) on the Oldhammer forum, the preponderance of WW2 German armies weighed down with SS Tigers at my club or the grotesque glee I witnessed recently as a miniature woman clutching a baby was killed in a game of Warhammer I GM'd, the hobby can stray into areas that offend to some degree. Perhaps be aware of this just a little bit, it may be your God-given right to be ignorant and uncultured but if that's so then it's mine to point it out. That said, if ever I do take offence you may be sure I will forgive and forget very swiftly, moving on to deal with the world as it is, not as I would wish it to be.
*SVM MALLEVS CVNNORVM*

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose...
- Alphonse Karr
Il Bastardo Pedantesco

Postby Bronshtein » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:30 pm

Er, beyond the whole colonial massacre of indigenous peoples shtick you mean?
Not really.
It is (or was) a self consciously Hollywood version of the Cavalry v 'Hostiles' thing - no consideration of the role of the cavalry in the 'clearance' of the land and a 'fun' game of ethnic cleansing with the actual legitimate occupiers of the land being played by an umpire and a preprogrammed algorithm which represented them as Space Invader type targets.
We played it but I don't remember missing it over the last three (?) decades and wonder if it is too much of its time to be a 'fun' evening game?
Perhaps a balancing game of defending your hunting grounds by seeing how many settlers ranches and smallholdings you could wipe out might be shipped with it? :?
Bronshtein

Postby Il Bastardo Pedantesco » Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:22 am

Bronshtein wrote:Er, beyond the whole colonial massacre of indigenous peoples shtick you mean?
Not really.
It is (or was) a self consciously Hollywood version of the Cavalry v 'Hostiles' thing - no consideration of the role of the cavalry in the 'clearance' of the land and a 'fun' game of ethnic cleansing with the actual legitimate occupiers of the land being played by an umpire and a preprogrammed algorithm which represented them as Space Invader type targets.
We played it but I don't remember missing it over the last three (?) decades and wonder if it is too much of its time to be a 'fun' evening game?
Perhaps a balancing game of defending your hunting grounds by seeing how many settlers ranches and smallholdings you could wipe out might be shipped with it? :?

:shock:

Good thing I checked this sub forum, as I assumed the only the response would be from a spammer... :oops:

Got no answers, when I had asked this on Oldhammer IIRC, so began thinking thinking "Fat Bloke" was onto something, though he could've toned it down a little on his blog - can't find the bloop moment on Oldhammer. So he was just being a moralizing prick over a set of supposedly 'fun' rules. Would he have been all het up if the games involved sedentary tribes vs the depredations of nomadic ones, especially after the re-introduction of the horse? It's a bit hypocritical considering his company peddles figures and rules from periods known for atrocities: Romans vs. Celtic groups and Dacians, and they even stock a slave market set and Roman slave girls. :roll:
*SVM MALLEVS CVNNORVM*

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose...
- Alphonse Karr
Il Bastardo Pedantesco

Postby Bronshtein » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:51 pm

I'm not sure that being pitched as a 'fun set of rules' necessarily absolves them of all criticism on moral grounds.
Perhaps a 'fun' approach to the sharp end of genocide might be worse than a 'serious' game about it? Unless of course the serious game is seriously promoting the idea it is desirable.

I confess I didn't follow your link at first to see where the quote came from. Now I have, I am little the wiser save knowing the author is a Warlord Games bloke. I have no idea what 'Oldhammer' is beyond having some connection to the whole 'xxxhammer' type universe somehow.

He may have been hypocritical and a bit po faced but that doesn't make his blog post wrong. I note it was a long time ago and unrelated to the re-release.

Wargaming has an uncomfortable side to it for me. Mostly I ignore it or use a series of no doubt badly constructed fig leaves to pretend I am not making a game out of the death of millions of people. The tipping point feels like it is where it stops being a fight that might go either way and becomes ruthless eradication of people as you might deal with vermin.

This isn't Yank bashing, I have similar ambivalence over a lot of games - AK47 feels a bit like taking the piss out of Africans trying to deal with a 'post colonial' legacy which is just a neo colonial exploitation. There was a TMPer who had a particularly unpleasant African ImagiNation with 'amusing' names and smug piss taking of African states. I quite frequently wanted to shoot him.
Bronshtein

Postby Bronshtein » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:50 pm

'Pre-orders' closed, in production, will be on sale on site soon.
I wonder if the 1,500 was a typo? Maybe it was 150?
Anyway it never made anything like 1,500, but the figures are out and soon the book will be too.
Mounted Braves come in a standard £23, 120 figure pack. US Cavalry the same but dismounted braves £7.50 whereas dismounted US Army - £17.50 Some weird pack sizes. I presume this fits into the requirements for Pony Wars in 6mm. Though from memory 120 natives isn't going to cut it.
Bronshtein

Postby Picador » Sat May 01, 2021 3:52 pm

Voice From Limbo wrote:I think I have a copy somewhere, but didn't you need about 800 Indians?

That's the problem with most 'colonial' (should we call it 19th century asymmetrical warfare?) rules. TTG's '1879' rules took "Zulus sir, fahsands of 'em" literally.
Carry on Tango, you're doing a fine job of fucking up TNP. Bravo!
Picador

Postby Voice From Limbo » Thu May 13, 2021 3:06 am

Well, you could try the Maori Wars; same numerical lopsidedness, but switching sides.
Voice From Limbo

Postby Bronshtein » Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:41 am

Pony Wars now available.

£27.50 in UK for the rules and 110 laminated cards. (£30 Europe, £35.00 ROW)

Or a boxed starter set for £99.00 UK, £82.50 elsewhere.

Despite the atavistic urge to acquire being triggered by the: 'no plans to reprint; once its gone its gone' shtick, I'm not sure I'm going to bother. I don't see me ever actually paying the bloody game again.

I suppose I could always buy a couple of sets of rules and cards and then flog them at a profit in six months to people who missed the boat? (Yes; I did invest in Betamax :evil: )
Bronshtein

Postby Bronshtein » Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:21 pm

Bronshtein wrote: Though from memory 120 natives isn't going to cut it.

I was right - the £99.00 starter set contains - ' a good chunk of the mounted and dismounted braves required for the game.' which is 240 mounted and 96 dismounted braves! So 336 native American figures not quite enough! Still its only £100 (plus a bit for the remaining figures)which includes all the US Cavalry, so actually not bad I suppose.
No civilians though.
Bronshtein

Previous

Return to Wargames Misc.