So this EU thing

Here you can discuss anything froth related that does not fit into another forum, or indeed any nonsense that should enter your head.

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Re: So this EU thing

Postby gustav » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:11 am

Think you have to do some real outside work on a hot Aussie day to understand the cold beer thing.
When temperature is +35 an appreciation of body and undertones is wank.
Same thing goes when you are sitting on a beach or on the deck as the sun goes down.
And once you adjust to beer properly cold - in my opinion hard to go back. Plus I would add that many of the craft/boutique beers here would seem to be brewed so you get the best of both worlds.

But hey as an ex-pom who grew up on "real" bitter, when I go back to Blighty - it really is not better*.

*Mind you I am a fan of Asahi and Peroni these days - my opinion probably counts for shit. :loopy:
gustav

Postby Macunaima » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:17 am

Hey, we have the same thing here. I have nothing against “tropical lagers” (read “ultracold pisswater beer) on the beach or on the street at Carnaval. They definitely have their place. But I grew up on bad American beer and am a fan of English beers these days.
Macunaima

Postby kyotebue2 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:13 am

Aldi's has a nice Bock beer that I like.
kyotebue2

Postby Macunaima » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:00 am

Actually, now that I am a diabetic, I find that posca is a much more tasty and refreshing drink on hot days. And if I need booze in it, I can toss in a shot of cachaça.
Macunaima

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:27 am

kyotebue2 wrote:Aldi's has a nice Bock beer that I like.

Macunaima wrote:Hey, we have the same thing here. I have nothing against “tropical lagers” (read “ultracold pisswater beer) on the beach or on the street at Carnaval. They definitely have their place. But I grew up on bad American beer and am a fan of English beers these days.

I love listening to you Americans talk about beer.
It's so quaint.

Postby Macunaima » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:32 pm

It might have been forty years ago. Now you can get pretty much any kind of beer you want in the States and in great variety. I don’t think the Brits really have much of a quality advantage anymore. And you can certainly buy American piss water beer by the caseload in Britain, so obviously it sells there.

But the nation that made Strongbow Cider famous really shouldn’t be looking down its nose at anyone else’s tipple of choice.
Macunaima

Postby Macunaima » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:35 pm

Just to make things clear, I like good British beers. That doesn’t mean I hate good beer from every other country.

The Europeans, for example (including the Brits) seem to have a very hard time making decent IPAs (Ironically enough). Now, don’t get me wrong: the BEST IPA I have ever drunk came from Scotland and the Yanks can produce some craft IPAs that are the alcoholic version of drinking a Christmas tree. But the chances are much larger that I’ll find a decent IPA on tap in an American bar than in an English pub.
Macunaima

Postby Bronshtein » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:51 am

Back to the EU for a moment...

Suddenly, invading Poland seems like a good thing.
Bronshtein

Postby Il Segaiolo Pedantesco » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:09 pm

Bronshtein wrote:Back to the EU for a moment...

Suddenly, invading Poland seems like a good thing.

Maybe if Brussels didn't treat member countries east of the Oder as exploitable resources, instead of equal partners, the populists wouldn't have made such gains. :roll:

What rich countries get wrong about the EU budget: Most of the money in Europe flows from East to West, not the other way around.

Why Can’t the EU’s West and East Work as One?
*SVM MALLEVS CVNNORVM*

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose...
- Alphonse Karr
Il Segaiolo Pedantesco

Postby Bronshtein » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:23 pm

Aww. Did the nasty capitalist tell oo a big fib den?
Well suck it up - you don't need to vote for racist loonies because of that.
Where's Uncle Joe when you need him?
Bronshtein

PreviousNext

Return to The Froth Pot