So this EU thing

Here you can discuss anything froth related that does not fit into another forum, or indeed any nonsense that should enter your head.

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Re: So this EU thing

Postby Bronshtein » Wed May 29, 2019 2:10 pm

heaps of bodies wrote:The Yanks amazement at the fact we have more than one election is an odd one. They not only have elections every two years for Congress, and spent about 18 months campaigning for them, but it's a federal republic - they have state (and county) elections too. Never mind the township meetings, elections for Police Chief, elections for park-keepers and judge etc etc etc.

Makes me think he is abnormally cluless, or the world's most pitifully inept troll.

I presumed the latter but I thought it was worth the turnout figures alone reply.

It's a sad day when only 37% can be arsed to vote for something that has been of such obvious interest and importance.
It's all right saying 'but politics is broken', well of course it is if you are too lazy to use what few legitimate methods you have to express your opinion or you use a vote about how the EU chould be run to complain about immigration by dusky hued chaps from outside the EU.
Fucking mad.

Locally a vacancy has arisen in the town council- not my ward - and there will only be an election if ten residents (of the town or the ward where the town is warded) write and ask for one. Guess what? So they co-opt a mate and that apparently is democracy. The town council, oddly enough, is all Welsh Labour, bar: a Labour and Co-Op, an Independent, a (This Town) First, member and two Plaid.
Bronshtein

Postby Yank » Wed May 29, 2019 2:24 pm

heaps of bodies wrote:
Bronshtein wrote:In Wales we get to vote for:
Unitary Authority Councillors - local government (formerly county council) 42%
Welsh Government Assembly Members - Welsh Government Turnout 45%
UK Members of Parliament - Turnout 68%
EU MEPs Turnout 37.1%

(We also get to vote for fucking cowboy Police Commissioners so we can have Bat Signals)

The Yanks amazement at the fact we have more than one election is an odd one. They not only have elections every two years for Congress, and spent about 18 months campaigning for them, but it's a federal republic - they have state (and county) elections too. Never mind the township meetings, elections for Police Chief, elections for park-keepers and judge etc etc etc.

Makes me think he is abnormally cluless, or the world's most pitifully inept troll.

Oh, we have more elections than you can shake a stick at, but they’re scheduled.
We just had a primary election to choose who gets to run in the general in the Fall. Our District Attorney ran unopposed as a Democrat and will have no Republican opposition in the Fall. Not even pro forma. County commissioners and judges and school board often run in both parties.
It’s the staggered primary races which can stretch on for months, with each state having a different day that gets you punch drunk following the news that attract the attention.

I was commenting on the EU Parliament, which seems to be scheduled and the fact that May can dissolve HER Parliament at any time (can she?) and declare new elections. Can someone run in both?

I’m not clueless. Just unfamiliar. (Maybe that’s the same thing. :D)
Yank

Postby LimeyCunt » Wed May 29, 2019 2:34 pm

Thanks to Call Me Dave and his fucked up fixed term parliaments act, the PM can’t ‘go to the country’ whenever they feel like it anymore. They need a 2/3 majority in the Commons, a vote of no-confidence in the government, or the Queen losing her fucking shit at everyone to call an early GE.

And no, you can’t run in both. It’s much easier to be elected an MEP, especially if you use dog-whistle politics and sound bites, as basically hardly anyone votes in them. That’s pretty telling but it’s a different conversation. To be fair though the current occupants of the commons - on both sides - have made such an awful job of, well, everything really that Farage would’ve had to start killing babies to not be elected. And even then he’d have to kill a lot.
LimeyCunt

Postby Voice From Limbo » Wed May 29, 2019 3:02 pm

On another front, Boris has to face trial for "lying and misleading"? Is this a thing? Over here, that would empty the Halls of Power in no time.
Voice From Limbo

Postby Guest » Wed May 29, 2019 3:05 pm

Voice From Limbo wrote:On another front, Boris has to face trial for "lying"? Is this a thing? Over here, that would empty the Halls of Power in no time.

Over here, that’s a resume enhancer.

Postby Bronshtein » Wed May 29, 2019 4:04 pm

Private prosecution for misconduct in a public office.
No chance of success.
Probably just boost his popularity with the 'Ooh that Boris eh!? Lor 'e's a one an' no mistake en't 'e?' crowd.

Probably more effective if they spent the £200,000 on publicity about Johnson's Turkish, Jewish, German background, that he's an American immigrant over here nicking our jobs and he's really Alexander de Pfeffel Johnson.
Bronshtein

Postby FFS » Thu May 30, 2019 10:05 am

When I first saw this photo I thought he was sitting in his toilet having a dump.

After all, where else would you hang a picture of Thacher?
FFS

Postby Voice From Limbo » Thu May 30, 2019 12:07 pm

Where's his white Persian cat?
Voice From Limbo

Postby LimeyCunt » Thu May 30, 2019 12:22 pm

He sat on it; that’s why the rictus grin.
LimeyCunt

Postby Voice From Limbo » Thu May 30, 2019 12:27 pm

Wot?! Even this guy loved his cat!

Voice From Limbo

PreviousNext

Return to The Froth Pot