So this EU thing

Here you can discuss anything froth related that does not fit into another forum, or indeed any nonsense that should enter your head.

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Re: So this EU thing

Postby Hermit » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:53 pm

Maybe they should open up the canals again for deliveries. It'd be slow going, but those old coal barges could be put to good use.
Hermit

Postby nonsuchpalace » Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:02 am

The Road Haulage Association estimates there is a 100,000 shortfall,
The army stands around 77,500 trained personnel and the new target is 72,500 by 2025.
So even if you think the average infantryman is your ideal Eddie Stobart driver :shock: , we are well and truly fucked.

And only a fraction of them have a HGV licence so they cannot call the army in to do the heavy lifting,and the ones who have aint got the experience of real HGV driving.

I was HGV driver for 6 years and quit, always tired, up at 4 or 5am not home till 7pm, always stressed to maximum, shit pay, management treating drivers like expendable garbage, always shit scared of breaking tacho driving rules, management expecting you to be able to back a lorry into a drop of point only wide enough for a mini, fellow drivers blaming other drivers for dents or scrapes to a vehicle that they had done, other road users abusing you, the shit list is endless, and that's the real reasons why there is a shortage of HGV drivers, no fucker wants to do it in this day and age, and the government rolling out a fast track bullshit system to get HGV drivers is not going to solve it, cos once the new drivers realise the job is shit they will quit too!

And i am laughing my bollocks off cos that industry deserves it!
nonsuchpalace

Postby Bronshtein » Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:45 am

I've never driven an HGV but I suspect you are right about the reason there was a home grown shortage that was being filled by EU drivers.
I've read several 'authoritative' figures for the average age of HGV drivers and though different they all come in clustered around 50. If you want more drivers, you need to improve pay and conditions. (or drive down benefits, pay and conditions in other occupations which dePfeffel and Rishi are working on).
Or think of other ways of doing it asap.
AI lorries? :shock:
Maybe trains and small road loads from local distribution points? (shame about all the goods yards they sold off).
Maybe pack mules, as Britain's little Englander heritage industry harks back to the first Elizabethan Age?
Maybe we won't be able to afford to import anything anyway and can stop bothering about transporting stuff?
Bronshtein

Postby nonsuchpalace » Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:08 pm

I've read several 'authoritative' figures for the average age of HGV drivers and though different they all come in clustered around 50

You right there Bronshtein, and many of them getting to an age of jacking it in too!
There are 1000s who have a HGV licence like me who aint using it, tells the story i think!

AI lorries, hahahha i could see the M1 full of AI lorries, imagine the carnage when they have a computer malfunction!
nonsuchpalace

Postby Hermit » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:22 pm

They really are starting to spread things out in shops. Even Wilkos is doing it. There were quite a few shelves with brown tape neatly spaced on them when I went into town today.

But, at least I know who has a large stock of brown tape if I need some :lol:
Hermit

Postby Etranger2 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:34 am

Bump
Etranger2

Postby Elwood » Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:29 pm

Did someone say "bump"?
On the Frothpot index page . Display topics from previous : 7 DAYS , Sort by VIEWS , DESCENDING, GO , to beat the spammers .
Elwood

Postby Hermit » Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:33 pm

Looks like there might be mass slaughters on pig-farms, and all Johnson can do is joke about it :|
Hermit

Postby Il Bastardo Pedantesco » Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:07 pm

Hermit wrote:Looks like there might be mass slaughters on pig-farms, and all Johnson can do is joke about it :|

He does love his pork pies...

A vegan's take: Boris Johnson is right: farmers are worried about profits, not pigs’ lives - The more interesting question is why people who eat bacon and sausages are suddenly upset about this

Pig industry bosses are warning that the current crisis could lead to a decline in welfare standards. But all I see is shameless gaslighting from an industry that systematically imprisons and hurts pigs before killing them.

I don’t believe for a moment that people in the meat industry care about their pigs. Their whole livelihood is based on slaughtering innocent creatures for profit. What drives them is the money. If farmers are forced to incinerate their pigs, they won’t get the profits they were hoping for. It’s not the loss of life they mind, it’s the loss of money if they can’t sell the dead bodies.

The more interesting question is why people who eat bacon and sausages are suddenly upset about pigs being killed. It’s the same double standard that sees meat-eaters condemn those from other cultures who eat dogs or horses. Parents take their kids to petting zoos to engage with living animals, then buy them a dead animal sandwich from the cafe. I find it odd. Are you teaching them to respect animals or not?

There’s also the people who post photos of “endangered animals” on their social media, before sitting down to eat the carcass of an animal that was imprisoned and slaughtered for them. How can someone gulp and tremble in the waiting room at vets, unable to bear the idea of their pet suffering for even a moment, but then happily eat the fat and flesh of other animals who suffered during their brief, curtailed lives.
*SVM MALLEVS CVNNORVM*

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose...
- Alphonse Karr
Il Bastardo Pedantesco

Postby Hermit » Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:58 pm

Vegans will side with anyone to boost their own agenda, even the likes of Johnson. Yet, if they really thought about what animal products are used in different things, they'd reel back from the modern world and be found naked in a cave somewhere, foraging for food in the undergrowth. They certainly wouldn't go anywhere near tech devices.
Hermit

PreviousNext

Return to The Froth Pot