Are You A Goth

Here you can discuss anything froth related that does not fit into another forum, or indeed any nonsense that should enter your head.

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Re: Are You A Goth

Postby Spear » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:05 pm

4% - clothes don't count as vintage when you have had them since new.
Spear

Postby Duff » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:46 pm

Woodwose wrote:however I would question the Damned and the Anti-Nowhere League, punk yes, but I certainly wouldn't put them down as a prime example of Goth.

Too right, and neither were The Cramps, before someone Gothy tries to claim them.
broney wrote:You weren't there man! How many stiles are there on the Offa's Dyke Walk? You don't know Man!

Duff
Associate Member

Postby geronimo » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:34 am

Duff wrote:Midnight as well. I'm starting to think that these survey results might not be very scientifically rigorous. ':-|

It's like saying "You've seen Easy Rider...therefore you're 23% biker"
...I've heard things about people from other people about certain people to back that up (c) Andrew May

geronimo
Associate Member

Postby Doremi Fasol Latido » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:04 am

16% due to a few crossovers. Might have scored a little higher 15 years ago, but not much.
Doremi Fasol Latido

Postby mr tough guy » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:20 am

20% it's all a bit silly though, kinda reminds me of that recent episode of southpark about the Goth Kid becoming Emo :wink:
Image Image
mr tough guy

Postby Hermit » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:43 pm

Woodwose wrote:I would question the Damned and the Anti-Nowhere League, punk yes, but I certainly wouldn't put them down as a prime example of Goth.

Remember that the goth culture of the 80s was a splinter from punk, so there was alot of crossover between what was seen as punk and what was seen as goth. At that time, you'd find both punks and goths going to the same concerts. Siouxsie Sioux was originally a punk, but it's now taken for granted that Siouxsie and the Banshees are goth.

Goths then and goths now are completely different. I don't remember ever seeing the boys wear black lipstick and eyeliner (unless they were Robert Smith). The girls did, yes, but not the boys. However now it's more metrosexual and the boys tend to wear just as much make-up as the girls.
Hermit

Postby THE Killer Bob » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:34 pm

Ace From Outer Space wrote: Humph, Fields of the Nephilim were from Stevenage, not Sheffield.

I'm going to establish my super-sad credentials here by saying that you are broadly correct but at least one of them was from Hitchin and McCoy was from South London.
It's happening again...
THE Killer Bob

Postby Skipp » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:36 pm

THE Bob wrote:
Ace From Outer Space wrote: Humph, Fields of the Nephilim were from Stevenage, not Sheffield.

I'm going to establish my super-sad credentials here

No need. Already established. :wry:

What are you doing Dave?
Skipp

Postby THE Killer Bob » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:40 pm

Hermit wrote:
Woodwose wrote:I would question the Damned and the Anti-Nowhere League, punk yes, but I certainly wouldn't put them down as a prime example of Goth.

Remember that the goth culture of the 80s was a splinter from punk, so there was alot of crossover between what was seen as punk and what was seen as goth. At that time, you'd find both punks and goths going to the same concerts. Siouxsie Sioux was originally a punk, but it's now taken for granted that Siouxsie and the Banshees are goth.

Goths then and goths now are completely different.

Yes.

The Damned were very influential in creating goth, they had a goth vibe before goth existed. The Damned and the Banshees slipped from punk to goth as their fans' hair grew longer. There was no clear divide, I was called a punk and then I was called a goth, all I did was not cut my hair.
It's happening again...
THE Killer Bob

Postby THE Killer Bob » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:42 pm

mr tough guy wrote: kinda reminds me of that recent episode of southpark about the Goth Kid becoming Emo :wink:

It seems to me that emo is just like goth except that now they let fat kids in.
It's happening again...
THE Killer Bob

PreviousNext

Return to The Froth Pot