The Sad Cunts with No Life Thread

Here you can discuss anything froth related that does not fit into another forum, or indeed any nonsense that should enter your head.

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Re: The Sad Cunts with No Life Thread

Postby Macunaima » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:59 pm

Rereading Swords Around a Throne (after all, it IS entertaining as hell). This is the first time I read it after reading Kevin’s book on Napoleon’s artillery.

What is really pathetic is how Kev tried to copy Elting’s style but completely misses its essence. Elting gives a lot of nicely described vignettes, like the one with which he opens his book. They are very illustrative and evocative. But crucially — and unlike Kevin — he never strays into openly fictionalizing.

I mean, you can argue that his sources aren’t good and that, if he were a beer, Elting would be a Bud Light (lime, at that), but I am sure he could back up what he says with legitimate historical sources. He might not dig deeply enough and he certainly loves his breezy generalizations, but he IS a historian. To extend the beer analogy, he may be pisswater American commercial pilsner, but he is a beer.

Now, for all that we take the piss, Kev is also a historian. But what he REALLY wants to be is a Napoleon fanfic writer. His vignettes betray him: they are almost entirely fictional, presenting as fact things he couldn’t possibly know.

My bet? When Kevin Kiley goes to his reward, his heirs will find a box full of yellowed, suspiciously stained Napoleon/Murat slashfic.
Macunaima

Postby Picador » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:23 pm

The majority of Napoleonics buffs that have encountered Kiley's ramblings think he's a massive cunt, they're just too polite to say so. I'm the exception (are you surprised?), it's got me banned from a few places. :)

I assume he wasn't in during the Vietnam War. He's a sure candidate for a fragging.
Stone Mountain's OK with IP theft, so Bill deleted his thread to protect him from looking a cunt.

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg ... ?id=521602
Picador

Postby gustav » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:25 pm

massive cunt
gustav

Postby Khusrau » Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:26 pm

Bollocks to Brexit wrote:
Picador wrote:Kev really hates Britain and the British doesn't he? I think he's a complete wanker, so it all evens out.

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg ... 149&page=5

Much of his extensive list is bollox too :)

I suspect that Kiley is suffering from some form of mental health condition; he just posts the same crap time after time even when it clearly contradicts his own statements, cannot understand that the judgements of his beloved pro-Bonaparte authors are open to the same criticism that he applies to authors who are not 100% in favour of the Corsican, fails to understand what other people are posting and lashes out when people dare to disagree with him.

Alternatively, he could just be a massive cunt.

I love how he posts the same list of Napoleon's achievements without even noticing that no 3 and no 34 are identical.
Khusrau

Postby Off with their heads » Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:01 pm

Derek H wrote:Some serious RWNJ shit on this Tango trolling thread

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=535671
http://www.freezepage.com/1597445419BQMTROJPPL

They don’t come right out and say it, but they think that death camps were a fine idea. Just badly applied back when, well, you know. Back when it was Bad People in charge.
Off with their heads

Postby Bollocks to Brexit » Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:05 pm

Khusrau wrote:
Bollocks to Brexit wrote:
Picador wrote:Kev really hates Britain and the British doesn't he? I think he's a complete wanker, so it all evens out.

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg ... 149&page=5

Much of his extensive list is bollox too :)

I suspect that Kiley is suffering from some form of mental health condition; he just posts the same crap time after time even when it clearly contradicts his own statements, cannot understand that the judgements of his beloved pro-Bonaparte authors are open to the same criticism that he applies to authors who are not 100% in favour of the Corsican, fails to understand what other people are posting and lashes out when people dare to disagree with him.

Alternatively, he could just be a massive cunt.

I love how he posts the same list of Napoleon's achievements without even noticing that no 3 and no 34 are identical.

That is indicative of something; I wonder what would happen if someone drew his attention to it.
Bollocks to Brexit

Postby Hew Johns » Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:27 pm

I've thought it was his Marine ethos. Discipline, obedience, loyalty, aggression, and if that doesn't work more aggression. Historical discussion isn't won by facts or logic, it's a battle of will and endurance!
C.P.C.B.
Hew Johns

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:28 pm

Macunaima wrote:Rereading Swords Around a Throne (after all, it IS entertaining as hell). This is the first time I read it after reading Kevin’s book on Napoleon’s artillery.

What is really pathetic is how Kev tried to copy Elting’s style but completely misses its essence. Elting gives a lot of nicely described vignettes, like the one with which he opens his book. They are very illustrative and evocative. But crucially — and unlike Kevin — he never strays into openly fictionalizing.

I mean, you can argue that his sources aren’t good and that, if he were a beer, Elting would be a Bud Light (lime, at that), but I am sure he could back up what he says with legitimate historical sources. He might not dig deeply enough and he certainly loves his breezy generalizations, but he IS a historian. To extend the beer analogy, he may be pisswater American commercial pilsner, but he is a beer.

Now, for all that we take the piss, Kev is also a historian. But what he REALLY wants to be is a Napoleon fanfic writer. His vignettes betray him: they are almost entirely fictional, presenting as fact things he couldn’t possibly know.

My bet? When Kevin Kiley goes to his reward, his heirs will find a box full of yellowed, suspiciously stained Napoleon/Murat slashfic.

Did you buy his book, or have an 8 year do a snatch and grab from a bookstore?
Oh wait. You’re an academic! You have libraries!

Kevin is a historian in the same sense that that incubus/succubus demon sperm lady is a doctor. But at least she has better stories. His AWI uniform book is a straight ripoff of Mollo, but with horrible copies of the plates.

Kevin is avoiding the OFM’s puckish query about the Duchy of Warsaw. The last time he was kicked off TMP, one of Bill’s reasons was not showing Kevin the respect he was due.
http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=535639
It looks like the foreigners are handling Kevin pretty well.

Question for youse Brits. I once read that when used mockingly “Kevin” is an insult. Is that correct?

Postby Fan of real Marines » Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:32 pm

Hew Johns wrote:I've thought it was his Marine ethos. Discipline, obedience, loyalty, aggression, and if that doesn't work more aggression. Historical discussion isn't won by facts or logic, it's a battle of will and endurance!

I don’t picture Kevin as John Basilone, the Rambo of Guadalcanal. Great episode of him in Band of Brothers Pacific.
Fan of real Marines

Postby frotherPest » Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:56 pm

quote="Fan of real Marines"]
Hew Johns wrote:I've thought it was his Marine ethos. Discipline, obedience, loyalty, aggression, and if that doesn't work more aggression. Historical discussion isn't won by facts or logic, it's a battle of will and endurance!

I don’t picture Kevin as John Basilone, the Rambo of Guadalcanal. Great episode of him in Band of Brothers Pacific.[/quote]

I have the feeling the only things you know of Basilone come from that show.
Nobody ever reads the fine print.
frotherPest

PreviousNext

Return to The Froth Pot